Wednesday 30 May 2012

Farm Billeting

I was placed on Algonquin Highlands Riding Trails for my ten day farm billet. I had a great time, it was really cool to live on a farm as I have always wanted to live on one and I never thought I would get the chance. Muskoka farming is very different from Alberta farming but its still pretty cool. I was living with Tracie and Greg Parrott and all of their animals. They lived on a very large property, most of it was back country which was really nice. Their business does back country trail rides, riding lessons, and camps. Some of the things I did there were pick wild leeks, play with the puppy, feed the horses goats and chickens, catch the run away pony, flatten out some land for a new paddock, level the riding ring, help with a lesson, and go on a trail ride.

Skookumchuck  Hot springs




From left: Clover, Sadie, Bertha

From left: Jerome, Splash, Sterling

Stetson


From left: Tank, Derf

From left: Candy, Tank

Candy

Casper

Willy

Cash

Jerome

Sterling

Skook

Skook kept licking the camera


American toads mating/laying eggs. There was over one hundred of them  in the pond one day. 






What I thought was a stick bug... apparently its a water scorpion. Either was it was pretty darn cool looking, too bad my camera didn't focus.


I spy with my little eye...


Jackson





View from the bluff at  Ragged Falls

Skook at Ragged Falls

Ragged Falls























Skook sitting on my lap 

Murphy

Murphy

Dead frog

Dead frog


Fiddle Head






Dog tooth


Trillium (Ontario's Provincial Flower) 

Wild Leeks


Picking Wild Leeks


The red Trillium's are also called Stinkin Johnny's




Back country part of the property

















Skook was super dirty and he wanted up on my lap/bed




I spy...

From left: Bertha, Sadie, Stompy

Stompy

From top: Sadie, Clover

Sadie

Bertha

J.J

Cash

Splash





The Ring


The tractor I drove



J.J

Jerome (Fancy in the background far right)

Fencer

From left: Sterling, Splash, Fancy, Cash or J.J

Sadie and Bertha

Tank

Derf

Stetson

Pig Pen

Derf is so cute resting his head on Tanks back.

Candy, the only female horse



Willy


Bertha

Clover

Jerome

Friday

J.J

By the end of the week my feet were really dirty...




Murphy

Murphy

Murphy

Skook


Bertha, Sadie

Clover, her jaw was misaligned. It was a birth defect

Bertha scratching her back

Bertha

Skook giving kisses





Fran, Tracie's mother

At the neighborliness house making wedding invitations.



As Tracie would say "Brittney Spearsing the baby"

2 comments:

  1. WOW -- that was a big update with a whole lot of photos of farm life, so so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome photo's Sarah!!! I love Skook...he looks soooo nice. And the cat's,goats, horses and egg laying toads look cool too! Nice flower photo's too...I remember Trillium from my youth. Did you discover any "Blood-Root"? I am so happy you are having the time of your life! Love from Poppa:{

    ReplyDelete